DEVISED THEATRE PROJECT
TITLE: On this day, I find the courage to serve justice.
-Ensembles will select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensembles will be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed their process and product, form and content.
- Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
-Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
Approximately 16’X16’ playing space; ensemble determines audience placement & interaction.
Work lights up/down provided; any additional lighting will be ensemble-generated.
Regions provide electrical power; ensemble must provide all technical sources (boom box, extension cords, projector, clip lights, etc.)
There is a 20 minute time limit, which must include set-up, performance and strike. Set up and strike can be part of the performance.
Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed.
Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should.
Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work.
No live flame.
No functional weapons.
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists. Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Regions will only provide the space; ensembles must bring everything else. Be careful about making assumptions (availability of chairs, acting blocks, etc)
- Deadline for submission – December 16, 2016. Send a Statement of Interest and a Cast List to Mike Ricci at MRicci@nhcc.edu by the December 16 deadline.